Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chapter 6

First came the tingling. Then, the lights faded out… and back again. May wasn’t confused at all this time as she was sitting in Ethan’s passenger seat. She looked at him and smiled.

He had just finished saying how he had enjoyed talking with her.

She laughed and smiled again, trying to imitate that thing he always did with his eyes that made him get his way.

They left his car and started walking towards the school, but this time May went right to his side and linked her arm through his. Not wanting to give him a chance to respond, she started talking.

“You know, I think I’ve been a little too easy on you,” she said trying to sound playful and teasing.

Ethan seemed eager to play along; this was his kind of game. “Oh? I don’t know, you really know how to twist a knife, May.”

Still smiling as much as she could she said, “Nah. You’re pretty strong Ethan,” she playfully squeezed his bicep. “I doubt someone as delicate as myself could really hurt you very much. I should try to be meaner to you, I think.“

“I don’t know if I can survive another burst of meanness from you!” Ethan was really getting into it, now.

“Maybe you’re right. You are such a sweet boy, after all. I suppose I wouldn’t want to hurt your feelings. I would be sad if you were sad, Ethan.” She gave him a penetrating gaze. They were getting to the edge of the parking lot, now. It was almost time.

“So if you don’t want to make me sad, how do you suggest we even the score?”

“Servitude.” She answered quickly. “It’s the obvious answer.”

“You want me to be your slave?” He laughed, absolutely loving this playful turn things were taking. “Alright, master. What is your first command?”

May glanced over and saw her brother standing there, glaring at them. Show time!

“Kiss me.” She said, turning and stopping in front of him, holding onto both of his arms.

Ethan looked completely shocked. But not repulsed. Interesting…

“Now, Ethan.” She commanded. “And make it good, please.”

He thought for a split second more, shrugged and said in a fake southern-accent, “Yes, ma’am!”

He didn’t even look around to see who might be watching. He quickly grabbed May, one hand on her lower back, the other behind her neck. He lowered his face, and pressed his lips against hers.

May’s heart leaped within her. This was her first kiss. She didn’t stand there awkwardly, though. She knew just what she wanted to do. She wrapped her arms up around his neck, and responded to him. She kissed him back confidently, moving her lips with his. Yummy was all she could think for about five-seconds, as Ethan proved to her that his prowess with girls did not end with flirtation.

But then May remembered why she was doing this, and opened one eye to peek at her brother. He wasn’t standing where he had been before. He was now charging towards them, with fire in his eyes. Oopsies! She hadn’t thought this part all the way through, apparently.

She quickly broke the kiss and pushed Ethan away gently. He started to protest.

“But Master, I wasn’t thr--,” but May interrupted him by putting her hand up to his lips.

“You should run, now.”

Ethan looked up and saw Jared lumbering towards him.

“Oh.” He seemed to understand why running was a good idea. But before he took off, he gave May another peck on the lips. Then he turned and ran for his life.

May had hoped she could just put on her show for Jared, and avoid actually talking to him. Apparently Jared was more forward than she would be, if the roles were reversed.

Ethan was lost in the crowd by the time Jared got to where May stood, so he stopped short and yelled, “What the hell were you just doing with that worm?!”

May suddenly had an idea that would be the cherry on top of the perfect revenge for how Jared had talked to her.

“Jared,” May said resolutely. “I won’t have you talking about Ethan like that. We are in love, Jared. He’s the reason I crashed the car yesterday, actually. I lost control because he asked me to marry him, and I was so surprised. But I said yes, and we are getting married. We are gong to drop out of school, and have lots of babies. I love him more than anybody-- he is my whole world. I don’t even care that he has fathered four children by four other girls.”

Jared looked like he was about to die of a heart attack.

“WHAT?!?!!?”

“I’m going to find my love now, Jared. Don’t follow me. If you try to hurt him, you won’t be invited to our wedding.”

Then May dashed away, trying not to fall over with laughter; completely caught up in the ecstasy of how perfect her retaliation had worked. She knew the real-life Jared wouldn’t feel the pain of it, but the mirror-Jared sure had. That would be enough. May didn’t run in the direction of where Ethan had gone, though. She ran away from the school. She was going to go home and go to sleep!

She was halfway across the parking lot when she heard someone calling her name. It wasn’t Jared. She turned around and was completely surprised to see that it was Ryan who was jogging over towards her.

“May!” He called again, and she stopped to let him catch up with her. “May. Look, I’m sorry. . . this isn’t my business. I just over heard what you said to your brother, about my cousin.”

“Your cousin?” May jumped in, surprised.

“Yeah. Ethan. He’s my second cousin.” Ryan said through shortened breaths. “Is that true? You two are seriously getting married? How could I not know this about him?”

May suddenly had no idea what she should say. She hadn’t wanted to mess with Ryan. Now she really wished she could just fall asleep here on her feet and skip this conversation. Was she supposed to confess that she had just used Ethan worse than he had ever used anybody in his life? She knew how Ryan felt about Ethan’s behavior, how harsh would be his reaction to what she did? Even for this moment that wouldn’t last in anybody’s memory but hers, she couldn’t bear the thought of Ryan’s bad opinion.

Ryan noted her silence and took his chance to speak. “Look, you don’t have to tell me anything you don’t want to. I think you are really nice, May. I genuinely like you, so I hope you don’t get mad when I say this. Seriously, don’t do this. You… He…” Ryan struggled with what he was trying to say.

“I love my cousin, he is my best friend. He’s not bad, don’t get me wrong. He’s just--. May? You could really do a lot better than him. Please don’t tell him I said that. If you two are seriously in love then—well, that surprises me, but whatever. Be happy. But I just have to tell you that… Well, it is really early to tie yourself to one person. And, um, well, maybe if you widened your gaze you might find there are other better choices. That’s all I wanted to tell you.”

May was stunned that Ryan could have that much to say to her on the subject. Surprised that he seemed to care more about her welfare than his own cousin’s. When he said that she should widen her gaze… was he suggesting that it include him? How could that be? And even after she just made herself look like the most foolish girl imaginable?

Ryan was about to leave her to think over what he said, but then he turned back around and burst out with, “And, OH MY GOSH. Did you say that Ethan has KIDS?”

Okay, now it was time to run away, May decided.

Since it wouldn’t matter in a few minutes anyway, she turned around without responding and sprinted in the direction of her home.

No comments: